Helping students maintain appropriate levels of motivation is a challenge. It is an important goal however as few teachers would argue that motivated students who are interested in learning do learn more.
Tips for Promoting Student Motivation
- Know your students' names and use their names as often as possible.
- Plan for every class; never try to wing it.
- Pay attention to the strengths and limitations of each of your students. Reward their strengths and strengthen their weaknesses.
- If possible, set your room in a U-shape to encourage interaction among students.
- Vary your instructional strategies; use lectures, demonstrations, discussions, case studies, groups, and more.