The purpose of the Faculty Orientation to Teaching at VIU is to introduce you to teaching and learning resources for designing learning experiences for your students, engage you in conversations on best practices for fostering critical thinking in students, and to provide you with an opportunity to meet and work with colleagues from across the disciplines at VIU. The Orientation will cover the core components for teaching successfully at VIU.
We will also introduce you to the learning technology tools VIU has to offer. We will have a discussion of why you might choose one tool over another – and why you might not want to use a tool at all! You will leave this session knowing what learning technologies are most appropriate for you and your learners, and with resources to help you decide how to continue developing your comfort with learning technology tools.
What are the benefits of participating in the New Faculty Orientation to Teaching at VIU? Concrete ideas for:
- Fostering student motivation and in-class engagement
- Designing classroom activities that challenge students to think critically
- Using technologies for teaching to enhance student learning
- Assessing and evaluating learning effectively
- Understanding the cultural and intellectual diversity in your classroom
- Interacting with new colleagues on the culture of teaching and learning at VIU
Breakfast and lunch will be included.
Audience: This event is open to anyone, but we welcome those teaching faculty members with less than 2 years of teaching experience.
Timing: We hold a session of the New Faculty Orientation at the beginning of every Fall and Spring Term. Check out our calendar to see the next date. https://ciel.viu.ca/about/current-offerings
Questions? Tine.Reimers@viu.ca, Curriculum, Teaching and Learning Specialist, Centre for Innovation and Excellence in Learning